Nurturing the Mother® has certified 1000s of massage therapists in pregnancy and postpartum massage since 1990. This method utilizes a comfortable, secure side-lying position to avoid undue pressure on a growing abdomen and the lower back. Mothers are completely supported by pillows, keeping hip, knee and ankle on the same level to avoid pulling on the sacroiliac joint and to maximize blood and lymph circulation. Side-lying is the safest for mother and baby, and educates the client about the ideal sleeping position.
This Nurturing the Mother® protocol uses a combination of the following methods:
• Calming Swedish massage strokes for deep muscle relaxation, tension release and increased circulation
• Gentle range-of-motion and stretching movements to relieve pressure through neck, shoulders, rib cage, lower back and hips, and to promote greater strength, flexibility and balance
• Deep tissue work in the hip and gluteal area to help alleviate chronic lower back and hip pain
• Abdominal massage for round ligament pain, to support digestion, increase circulation to the placenta and baby and to increase awareness of the baby. The baby will feel and benefit from the massage.
• Lymph drainage strokes to reduce pregnancy induced edema
• Cranial-sacral and polarity therapy for physical/psychological/emotional/spiritual centering
• Acupressure and reflexology techniques shown to be effective in treating many common pregnancy related complaints.
• A complete postpartum protocol combining Swedish massage strokes to treat and relax “nursing neck”, organ repositioning, lymphatic breast massage, and mother warming to aid in birth recovery.
What you will Learn:
• Anatomy and physiology for pregnancy and birth
• Pregnancy massage sequence
• Cautions and contraindications for pregnancy massage
• Guidelines for pregnancy massage for each trimester
• Massage cautions and variations for high-risk pregnancies
• Postpartum massage, with the principle of “mother roasting” – the application of heat, along with specific bodywork techniques for the recovery and realignment of the mother.
• Marketing your new skills to the public
About the Instructor
Sonya Bramwell is a Licensed Massage Therapist in Moscow, Idaho, graduating from The Twin Falls Institute of Holistic Studies in 2012.
Sonya became fascinated with pregnancy, birth and child development after giving birth to her first son in 2012. She became a doula later that same year, continuing her exploration of the power and mystery of fertility and women’s bodies, and the importance of supporting women as they go through such pivotal times in their lives.
She is passionate about sharing this healing, supportive work throughout the Pacific Northwest.
$325 Early bird registration before May 22nd
$350 after May 22nd
Go to www.sonyabramwell.com to register