This 3 day training is designed to prepare massage therapists to work in all hospice settings. It will provide the tools necessary to work safely, effectively and compassionately with patients at the end of life. Upon completion of this course, you will feel prepared and confident to do this amazing work.
Through a combination of lecture, discussion, group activities and hands-on practice, you will learn:
– the history and philosophy of Hospice
– the benefits, indications and contraindications for the most common pathologies experienced by patients in Hospice care
– modifications necessary to safely and effectively massage in various hospice settings (home, hospital, nursing homes)
– the emotional intelligence needed to work with hospice patients
– to enhance your ability to be present and offer comfort
– to develop self-care techniques to prevent burn-out
– to assess changing symptoms and create a treatment plan based on those changes
– to communicate effectively with patients, family, caregivers and the treatment team
– to practice these skills in a mock clinic setting
About the Instructor
Susan is a 2003 graduate of The Muscular Therapy Institute in Cambridge. She currently has a private practice in Watertown and works for Care Dimensions doing hospice massage. She was an Instructor at Cortiva Institute beginning in 2006 teaching massage technique classes and eventually managing the Student Therapy Clinic. Susan is an Instructor with The Bodywork Education Project. She teaches continuing education classes in Hospice Massage and all levels of Reiki.
Payment due at time of registration.
Payment plans available through PayPal.